[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Smooth Toroid?

Hi Steve, Andy, all

> Original Poster: "Steve Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
> <snip>

> I suspect a cloud of air ions around the torroid may have a "smoothing"
> effect on wrinkled torroid surfaces.  Does anyone know for sure?

Steve, this is interesting thought. I have observed that wrinlkes or small in
height edges (such as alluminum flex tubing) will act almost as a smooth
surface
toroid. I built a toroid from water evacuation tubing once. I used a tape to
smooth out the ripples then used copper taping for the outer surface. I noticed
with this toroid the sparks protrude from the same points on the toroid at each
break as seen in several photos. However, with the alluminum flex tubing,
the arcs
seem to protrude from different areas on the toroid. The edges are sharper than
the water tubing by a huge factor, but they are much closer to the average
surface. I just took pics with the alluminum but not even one of these
turned out.
I plan on running again outside between now and next weekend to film again
(a real
camera this time). I suspect I will see the toroid emulate from different
spots on
the toroid.

Just an observation,
Bart