[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: construction of a transformer core?

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: construction of a transformer core?
> Date: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 4:32 PM
>

> >I would like to build my own transformer, but since I
> >don't have any used cores to wind it on, I was wondering
> >if there is any material that would be useful in the actual
> >construction of a transformer core...

Transformer steel is what you want.... Available in thin sheets, high
silicon content so the resistivity is high (to reduce eddy current losses),
saturation flux is high (so you don't have to wind so many turns), etc. You
may laugh, but while you can use almost anything ferrous (iron filings and
elmer's glue was tried by one list'ite, coat hanger wire by another), the
real thing is so cheap (once you find a source), you might as well use it.