[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap

Hello Reinhard and all,

You and many others on this list do seem to be getting very good results
using the MMC method. I was only thinking that the wire diameter of the
leads would be thin, unless you are paralleling many. With, potentially,
hundreds of amps going through these I would look for the weakest link. My
commercial Cap from Condenser Products Co. uses 5 or 6 (cant remember
which) individual caps in series, all are designed with extended foil for
low resistance. I also use a series string of Philips Polyprop caps for my
Tube coils, and they work very well. The real proof is in the performance,
though.

I would be interested in what power levels these MMC's have been used at,
anyone use them in a >2KW coil yet? Also a price comparison with available
commercial caps would be interesting. I seem to remember that a MMC of
around 0.02 uFd at, say 15KVAC, would cost around $130 to $160 USD, I
think? What is available on the commercial market for a pulse cap of like
ratings? My Condenser Products cap cost $160, but I understand they no
longer sell for Tesla coil use. My list of cap suppliers is out of date,
anyone got an updated one? Perhaps I could check price ranges.

Regards,

David Trimmell