[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Copper vs. Brass in SG electrodes

In a message dated 4/24/99 10:15:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
         --- SNIP ----

>  Brass seems to be a much more common material than copper and I'm
>  wondering if anyone can tell me why most references suggest that copper
>  is the better electrode material?
>
>  I'm also planning on using 1/2" lexan for the disk.  I've heard many
>  times that plastics should not be used for the disk as electrode heating
>  will loosen them and send them flying.  With an earlier attempt at a sync
>  RSG I used 1/4" copper tubing cylinders, and the extreme turbulance on
>  the rotating electrodes left them quite cool.  I'd be happy to hear from
>  any others who have used lexan for disks.  FWIW, I'm using a 15KV/60mA NST.
>
>  Regards, Gary Lau
>  Waltham, MA USA

Gary,

I am using a 3/8" lexan disk and have had it up to somewhere around 4,000 to
5,000 rpm.  It is 10.0" in diameter with 8 contacts made from stainless steel
acorn nuts set in .50" from the outside edge.  I have seen several comments
that stainless steel should not be used but have not got around to changing
them.

Ed Sonderman