[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question to european coilers

Hi Roland, Chris, all

>Original Poster: RolandTedr-at-aol-dot-com
>Your'e current will also be twice as much for the same load, so you
have
>to be careful about that.  You want to decrease your transformers
primary
>side fuse to half what it normally uses.
>If the transformer sec is rated for 30 mA, in Europe your rating will
drop to
>15mA.

Roland: regarding this and your other email: Are you suggesting to
run a U.S. (110-125V) NST directly on european (220-235V)
current? This wonīt work. The core will saturate long before you
reach the 220V nominal line voltage rating. I doubt you can raise
the input voltage much higher than 150-160V on a 110V NST. The
difference in mains frequency will not be a major factor, unless it is
an electronic NST (which isnīt of much good in a TC circuit
anyway). The 50/60Hz difference is only of real concern in timing
related devices/circuits (like sync RSGs). The secondary current
capability has nothing to do (directly) with the input voltage, esp.
since you would be overvolting the NST in Europe (220 vs rated
110). This is why I said (in my other mail) he would always need
two NSTs, for a series primary and parallel secondary
configuration. Sam could of course buy a variac and run the
U.S. NSTs through it at rated (or slightly above) voltage, but
following the other reasons, I think this would be more trouble
than it is worth. Besides, if you have a variac that goes from
0-270V (300V), who can resist the temptation of turning it up
higher than the allowed 110V. Saftey might be another factor:
in case of an emergency, you might turn the variac the wrong
way (up instead of down) in the "excitement" an emergency
situation usually presents.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard