[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC take2

Hi Jim,

	This was not posted to the Tesla list.

Admittedly, this orginal post should not have been either...  I thought
this would quickly die but it seems to have hit a number of raw nerves.  I
will not entertain a long thread over abreviations and fonts at this time.
It's best just to stop this thread now...

Thanks,

	Terry

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Actually, I believe the correct symbol for microfarads would be µF.  If
you
> are using a suitable font, it would be formed by holding the ALT key
while
> typing 0181 on your numeric pad.  In the olden days they used to use mF
for
> microfarads, and sometimes mmF.   But now, only µF is acceptable.

Perhaps in a Windows/PC only world (Bill can dream), you can actually use
the mu for micro. However, for convenience, and to stay within ASCII, the
lower case u is pretty widely accepted. For that matter, a commonly
accepted ASCII substitute for German umlauts is the trailing e (with which
it has some historical connection). e.g. Fruengel instead of an u with an
umlaut.