[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The unit of a "Faraday"

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Brent L Caldwell <stretchmonster-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Federico, and all others following this thread:
>
>         So, the Faraday is the amount of electrical charge carried by 6.02 x
> 10^23 electrons.  Shouldn't that mean that the Faraday IS a unit, since
> if you had 18.06 x 10^23 charges, you would have 3 Faradays?  Right?
>
>                                                         Brent

The only time I've ever used the "Faraday" was in electrochemistry.  What I did
was find the number of moles of electrons that moved around during a given
reaction, using normal stoichiometric procedures.  Then, there were equations
for things, I don't remember what they were or why I used them, but I believe
the Faraday was used in them as a conversion factor from moles of electrons to
Coulombs.  I think that's how I did it, but maybe there are other applications
where the Faraday is used more like a unit than a constant conversion factor.

Anyone else?
Adam