[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC take2

Chris

That pulse cap sounds way too big - the capacitance would be too high -
but it's a lovely (but dangerous) beast for other applications. You
should save it until you can recitfy your PSU and charge the thing up for
use in can-cruushing, exploding wire experiments, etc - but leave this
until you've had some experience with your Tesla coil as any contact with
such a huge amount of stored energy will surely kill you and probably
forcibly blow off arms and legs. Check out The Arcstarter's web site for
info on his pulse discharge experiments - but bear in mind that this guy
is even madder than the rest of us!

Again, get WinTesla which will tell you what cap size you need to match
your Xfrmr and how this will tune with your primary coil.

As for MMCs, I think that about 3 or four people so far on the list have
built and used them - so far, fingers crossed, without a failure. You may
want to look at Gary Lau's webpage - his details are quite comprehensive.
Capacitors made by Wima, Evox Rifa and Philips have all been used.
Although these are all operating quite a bit outside many of their
ratings, it seems that the low duty cycle in Tesla work may help them
survive.

Alex