[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC take2

Hi Christopher,

a 60kV, 3.3kJ cap works out to have a capacitance of 1.83uF. This usually
this is too much for a TC. The voltage rating for the cap is excellent,
but the capacitance usually is around 0.02uF (about matched to the average
NST). If you use a big cap, your xfrmr won't be able to charge the cap
fast enough, and your gap won't be able to fire very often (except if you
made a very narrow gap). Use wintesla to figure out the (perfect) numbers
for you, and go for the MMC design if you can find the caps for it (read
the other posts about MMCs)

Regards, Reinier

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "christopher boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> The only pulse cap I can get Cheaply (and that is a reletive term) is
> a 300 pound monolith with 3.3KJoules at 60KV...will that work? Or
> should I go with the MMC.
> I've heard good things about the whole MMC project. Is it still
> funtional? What's the latest?

Reinier