[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC take2

>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: MMC take2
>Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:14:50 -0600
>
>Original Poster: Adam <psycho-at-tradewind-dot-net>
>

>Tesla List wrote:
>
>> Original Poster: "christopher boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>>
>> Alright as I understand it someone recently took a whole bunch of
>> little caps and hooked them together for TC duty. They called it
the
>> MMC (Another obscure acronym?) i think.
>>  I have a resource for a whole herd of brand new computer grade
caps.
>> The values are 1399mFd -at- 450 VDC, how many do I need? I can
probably
>> get a couple hundred. Any ideas?
>>

>MMC is Multi-Mini Cap, as in a capacitor made from many smaller
>(commercial) capacitors.  The safest procedure for finding the
number of
>capacitors is to check out the manufacturer's data sheets, and
derate the
>caps for the frequency of AC your tank circuit will resonate at.
Then
>see how many caps in series you'll need for that, find the
equivalence of
>that string of caps using the standard formulas, and then calculate
how
>many strings you'll need to achieve the required capacitance, using
the
>standard formulas (math.txt).  Play with the numbers a little to get
>everything right.
>
>Those caps have a pretty hefty capacitance for this kind of work,
though,
>and I don't think they'll be able to handle the intense labor
involved in
>the capacitor sweatshop that is the Tesla Coil.  Be sure to check out
>what kinds of AC frequencies these things are meant to handle, as
well as
>the magnitude of the current that they're built to deal with.  Taking
>chances with this stuff caan be frustrating,dangerous, and even
(gasp)
>costly, especially in such a new area.
>
>Playing the conservative yet again, I'd suggest that you use a cap
>designed for "pulse applications," but hey, who knows what you might
>discover.
>
>Good luck,
>Adam

The only pulse cap I can get Cheaply (and that is a reletive term) is
a 300 pound monolith with 3.3KJoules at 60KV...will that work? Or
should I go with the MMC.
I've heard good things about the whole MMC project. Is it still
funtional? What's the latest?

The Coronaphile
Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group