[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help PLEASE! So close.. and yet...

Yuri,
You have to "tune" it to get sparks. I did this by putting a 4'
flourescent bulb in a bucket so the end was just an inch away from the
terminal. Then place your primary tap, stand back and turn it on. If
nothing, move your tap halfway around or more. Keep moving it until you
get a spark to the bulb, then begin moving bulb further away as it gets
in tune.

You probably need more capacitance than just one jar. What size is the
jar? You need at least 6 leyden jars to get any decent spark from that
size xfrmr.

Did you seal the cardboard tube with polyurethane before wrapping it?
You will have some loss here if you didn't. How tall is your secondary?

A few more turns of the primary wouldn't hurt.

The reason the ground cable is larger than the secondary is because you
get high current out of the base of the secondary, and high voltage/low
current out of the top.

hope this helps, Bob Volk