[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help PLEASE! So close.. and yet...

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 23.04.99 07:13:08

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Help PLEASE! So close.. and yet...

Original Poster: "Yuri Markov" <wmondale-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Well, I fired up my "not shooting for anything glorious" coil for the
>first time. I had a problem. The transformer, capacitor, spark gap,
>and whole tank circuit work perfectly. Real nice, cool sounding
>sparks in the gap, everything perfect. Only one slight detail - the
>secondary coil and discharge terminal did nothing. Absolutely
>nothing. I tried grounding the bottom to a well, and then directly to
>the house ground, to no avail. In case it helps: The power supply is
>7500 volts at 30 milliamps(that's 220 watts). The capacitor is a
>leydan jar of an unknown capacitance.

Unknown capacitance?! How's that?!

>The primary is about five turns
>of really big fat copper stuff. As I said, that all works fine. The
>secondary is 30 AWG enamled magnet wire (the really thin red stuff -
>it was all I had) wound about 3/4 the height of a thin untreated
>cardbord wrapping paper tube (2 inches diameter). A softball wrapped
>nice and smoothly in aluminum serves as the discharge terminal. What
>is wrong? Is the cardboard conducting all the RF? Is the wire fatally
>thin? Help, please!

Is it really so that you didn't calculate ANYTHING about your TC? Not even
resonance frequencies, inductances, nothing?!

You gotta be kidding :)

If this is your situation, I suggest you get (or get back to) WinTesla and run
some calculations with it. Nobody can give you suggestions without exact specs.
of your TC.

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com