[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 4 inch coil

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 13:17:36 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "afa2fg" <afa2fg-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
>Hi all,
> I am presently putting my first coil together. Actually this is my
>2nd.
>secondary. I started to do a 2 1/2 in. secondary but changed my mind
>and
>have decided to go with a 4 in. I plan to wind it 20 inches tall with
>24 ga.
>wire.

Don't make it any longer. Try to keep a ratio of less than 4 to 1, for
legth to width, but your demensions have worked fine for others.

>The primary will be 4 ga. solid copper wire.

That's a little thick, and will devilishly difficult to work with. A
better choice might be 1/4" or 3/8" copper tubing, available at hardware
stores for ~15 to 20 bucks for 50 feet.

 It will have an 11
>inch
>inside diameter with 1/4 in. spacing, and a total outside diameter of
>19.14
>inches.

is this a flat spiral coil? If so, a better inner dia. would be 6" to 8".
Keep the spacing between turns under 1/2", most poeple choose 1/4" or
3/8".

 The cap for the primary tank circuit will be about .0029 mf.

"m" stands for "milli", and I believe you mean "micro", but as the
correct symbol for micro isn't on a normal keyboard, a lot of folks just
use "u". This value is rather low, my little program I wrote on my TI-85
tells me .0053uf will be the load impedance match, with 42000V being
nominal voltage rating. Most people will try for the matched value, or go
above it.

>The
>toroid will be 4 in. aluminum flex tubing. Diameter yet to be
>determined. I
>will be using a 15 KV-at-30 ma. NST.  I am building one of Richard
>Quicks'
>cylinder spark gaps. Am using 1 in. copper pipe with .028 gap spacing.
>there
>will be 13  pipes -at- 4in. long.

All that seems just fine and dandy. For your input power, some where
around 15" will probably be all of what you'll get, but you may end up
pleasantly surprised. (be sure to post exactly what you did if you
are...)

>   Any comments on whether this thing will work???
The system should do fine, if you bring that capacitance up.

 Any and all coments
>welcome.
>Thanx
>George   Stein

With silent lightning in my hand,
Grayson Dietrich

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]