[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Whoah Stop!! (was Re: The demonic Rotary spark gap)

Hello Chris,

>Original Poster: "christopher boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Alright....I yeild. I shall attempt to build a rotary gap.
>
>I've seen a design for one on the Tesla Research site...I believe
>it's in the pics for the Model 8 or 12. It looks like a motor
>spinning a 10 or 12" phenolic disk with about 8 electrodes mounted
>around the periphery. There's an electrode with terminal at either
>side on the back (motor side) of the disk. And a shorting bar with
>electrodes across the front of the disk.

>This looks to be the simplest type of rotary I've seen and I can
>build one (after finding the right electrodes) in a couple hours.

SCREEEEEEEETCH. STOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Chris, let me put on the brakes for a minute. I have been scanning
across your posts. You seem to be jumping from one coil design
to another. While I sure donīt mean to insult you, I would suggest
you start out with a SMALL OBIT or NST powered coil. Stay away
from rotaries, pole pigs and high power equipment until you have
a feel for high voltage things (and forget about dangerous notions
like trusting/using those HV gloves). Just giving a coil "more juice"
(i.e: w/o some knowledge of what you are doing) will not increase
the spark length too much and will decrease the lifetime of some
(very expensive) components.

For a beginning coiler, the max spark length should be of NO
importance at all. You want to learn something. A multi-kW,
-larger-than-your-house- coil is definately NOT the way to start.
The first coil I built (with the help of my dad) at the age of 12 (which
seems to be THE magical TC age, right Fr. Tom/Richard Hull?) was