[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Not shooting for anything gloriuous, but... (fwd)

to: Mike

No, if you add dielectric material to the outside of the bottle you are
increasing the (d) distance between the plates and you will be lowering the
capacitance not raising it.

If you add plastic material to a glass dielectric material you will create
some strange problems due to the difference in the dielectric constants
between glass (around 7) and plastic (around 1), so you want to avoid this
altogether.  The electrostatic fields in the dielectrics will be stressed
and uneven.

Either buy good commercial caps or get to work and build your own poly
caps --- it's not that hard.  Bob Vogler recently had a post on a very good
design.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net