[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tubes---- (fwd)

Chris,
You don't say what power level you want . . . all the tubes you mention
are poor choices for a Tesla coil.  (you even have a rectifier and FM
discriminator in the mix).

Look for something with a physically large glass bottle, with a plate
cap.  (metal tip on top).  The tubes you mention are low power receiver
tubes, you want a transmitter tube.

The 50L6 comes closest to a TC suitable tube.  It requires a 50 volt
filament supply and is rated at ~3.8 watts in a Class A application with
a 200 volt plate supply.  Pushing it hard, you should be able to get
close to ten watts input for a power oscillator (tesla coil).  What you
really want, is a tube capable of 100 or more watts.

If you're scrounging around, look for horizontal deflection tubes from
TV sets or output toobs in high power audio amplifiers.

Good luck
bob