[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: For maximum spark length/maximum reliability is larger than resonant cap best?

>Original Poster: "David Hosking" <davidhosking-at-bigpond-dot-com>
>
>From what I have gathered a LTRC hold s the same amount of energy at a
>lower voltage and so gives similar arc lengths to a resonant cap but at a
>lower voltage.  Is this correct or is energy transfer more efficient at
>resonance?  I have a 3 NST 15kv 120ma power supply which my CRO indicates
>resonates with a 25n cap.
>
>I am finishing off a flat plate in oil cap with 1 inch poly margins
>around the Al foil plates.
>
>Should I build it to resonate or bigger for maximum arc & reliability?
>
>If bigger, how much bigger & why is this so?
>
>Many thanks,
>David.

My PSpice simulations reveal that for static gaps, exact mains-resonance
is NOT required for maximum power transfer, although the best case was
close.  Opening up the gap to wider settings and correspondingly higher
charging voltages clearly delivers more power, though at a terrible cost.
If you are building a single capacitor (not generally recommended,
particularly w/ a 15KV power supply), as opposed to several in series,
you should be as conservative as possible with the gap and charging
voltage.  Understand that depending upon your cap value, if you open the
gaps up, you could be charging your poor cap to over 50KV.
See:  http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm

I think the Larger-Than-Resonant cap recommendation was for use with
synchronous rotary gaps.  Or was that what you were planning on?

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA