[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Repost of :Strange NSTs (was Re: Found it ! :o(( ) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:36:38 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Repost of :Strange NSTs (was Re: Found it ! :o(( ) (fwd)

<< >
> Im glad this clarification has been made, it was my understanding
> that in a series resonant circuit which is almost always used in a tesla
> primary,the voltage rise is dependent on the q of the coil which in the
> case of a primary is almost entirely abscent of a voltage rise effect
> because of the comparative low inductance.

Harvey,

?
The primary doesn't have much effect on the resonant charging, so
the coil Q doesn't have much bearing either during charging.  Later
during RF oscillation (after the gap fires), the primary dynamic Q is
limited by both the spark gap, and the damped nature of the oscillation.

 >If  understand correctly
> (please correct me if wrong) the only techniques used to increase the
> input voltage to a tesla primary are that of resonant charging where a
> comparatively low capacity  is put in shunt or parallel to secondary of
> hi voltage xformer.

Yes, resonant charging can be used to raise the primary input voltage,
but a larger cap and lower voltage can give the same bang size, and
the same spark output with less transformer and cap stresses.

>In the moment of arcing the reverse side of the primary
> cap then comes into contact with primary coil forming a tank or parallel
> res.
> circuit (with a higher impedance)

High impedance across the tank, low impedance within the tank.

>The arc however represents a short to
> the xformer secondary which in a stationary gap might cause problems.

Yes, sort of , because a static gap might fire too soon.  But when the
gap fires, the xfrmer or ballast current limiting kicks in and limits the
current, so the xfrmer is not really direct-shorted.

> By employing a rotary gap at 120 bps the arc can be made to occur
> precisely when the input amperage of the xformer is near zero. This
> negates the problem of appearing as a short to the high voltage secondary.

Yes.

>      Does not the above scenario simply represent the most efficient
> way of allowing the cap to be charged by the source xformer and
> then to be discharged in the high frequency osscillation in perfect timing?
> HDN

Using a larger than resonant sized (LTRS) cap, the gap may still fire
near the ac zero crossing perhaps?  Interesting question.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions?

John Freau