[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Repost of :Strange NSTs (was Re: Found it ! :o(( ) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:04:13 PDT
From: Harvey Norris <tesla4-at-excite-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Repost of :Strange NSTs (was Re: Found it ! :o(( )

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:49:12 -0600, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> <<snip ,> For example, just changing from a sync gap to a
> > async gap will (I think) change the efficiency of the setup.
>

> > Coiler greets from germany,
> > Reinhard
>   >>

> Reinhard, all,
>
> I would think that charging a cap once per half cycle using a
> sync rotary would be the smoothest and most efficient way to
> charge, and would result in lower transformer losses than with
> any kind of higher break rate scheme.  In "Principles of Radio
> Communication by Morecroft" (1921), he suggests that a sync gap
> may fire near the zero crossing point of the input AC voltage, which
> avoids the production of heavy charging currents when charging the
> cap, and makes transformer saturation less likely.  At least this is
> my interpretation of the data.  He also suggests using a cap that
> is somewhat larger than "matched" for smoothest operation.
>
> John Freau

Im glad this clarification has been made, it was my understanding
that in a series resonant circuit which is almost always used in a tesla
primary,the voltage rise is dependent on the q of the coil which in the
case of a primary is almost entirely abscent of a voltage rise effect
because of the comparative low inductance. If  understand correctly
(please correct me if wrong) the only techniques used to increase the
input voltage to a tesla primary are that of resonant charging where a
comparatively low capacity  is put in shunt or parallel to secondary of
hi voltage xformer. In the moment of arcing the reverse side of the primary

cap then comes into contact with primary coil forming a tank or parallel
res.
circuit (with a higher impedance) The arc however represents a short to
the xformer secondary which in a stationary gap might cause problems.
By employing a rotary gap  at 120 bps the arc can be made to occur
precisely when the input amperage of the xformer is near zero. This
negates the problem of appearing as a short to the high voltage secondary.
     Does not the above scenario simply represent the most efficient
way of allowing the cap to be charged by the source xformer and
then to be discharged in the high frequency osscillation in perfect timing?
HDN