[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 questions on resonance

Malcolm & Terry:

As you guessed a phase lag is being created by the xmfrs leakage inductance
which shifts the point at which the cap receives its charge.  If you
measured the potential at the xmfr primary with a standard NST with internal
leakage paths then you will see the phase shift as you mentioned.

If you are running a pole pig and measure the phase shift before the current
limiting inductor you will also see the phase shift.  If you measure the
potential at the xmfrs primary after the current limiting inductor there
will be less phase lag.

If you want a true picture then use a TekTronics model 6015 probe which
contains a resistive divider and cap divider network.  You then measure the
high potential waveform directly on the HV cap itself (probe good for 40 kV)
and you will see a direct 1:1 correspondence between the firing point on the
synchro RSG and the peak potential across the cap.  These probes are
available surplus for around $150 and are very worthwhile investment to any
experimenter doing serious HF measurements.  This is what we use in our
shop.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net