[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NSTs and Cap Charging, more tests

<< snip
> With a proper sync phase setting, the TC draws 640 watts, 710VA,
> at 140 volts input to the 120 volt, 360 watt rated, NST, and produced
> 42" sparks.

> The only test left to do is to try a small cap (.0038uF) with a static
> gaps and higher break rate, but I'll be surprised if I get even 24"
> sparks.

> John Freau >>

All,

Again I'm replying to my own post here.  I decided not to bother
doing the small cap test above.  But I'll mention an old test I did
using a 10kV, 23ma OBIT and static gaps.  With a 6 or 7nF
resonant cap I got 25" sparks before the OBIT failed.  Using a
small 1.5nF cap which gave a higher break rate, the TC produced
13" sparks in earlier work.  In both cases I used 140 volts input to
the OBIT.

I've abused my NST enough with the various tests. I'll be going
back to using the potential transformers with the sync gap to
power the TC.

John Freau