[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

300 Watts to 600 Watts

I have a 10K 30ma neon that I decided to do an experement with.  I upgraded
the 10K 30ma 300 watts neon to 12K 50ma 600 watts.

I put the neon in the kitchen over for about an hour to melt the tar.  Then
I poured out the liquid tar and removed the transformer from the case and
washed the transformer with gasoline.  The primary coil has 244 turn of wire
and I removed 41 turns.  The turns ration have now been changed from 83:1 to
100:1 which will increase the output from 10K to 12K.  I removed 6 metal
plates from each shunt and checked each secondary coil one at a time with
the meter to make sure each coil was producing 25 ma.  Now my 10K 30ma neon
is putting out 12K 50ma.

Neons are designed so the 244 turns on the primary gives the proper value
for the unit to run continious.  Sence my TC is not going to run continious
24 hours a day 7 days a week 203 turns on the primary should work fine. The
secondary coils are designed to run in air so the oil will protect the coils
from the increased output voltage.

Next I made a plywood box and coated it with polyester resin.  I put the
neon in the box with insulators on the HV terminals and filled the box with
oil.

I put the neon on a 4" TC and I get 21" discharge spark.  I was getting 14"
sparks before.  I took the TC to an outdoor cook out bond fire party last
night and set it up so people could turn it ON and OFF.  People played with
it for about 5 hours turning it ON and OFF.  I let them abuse it to see if
the neon would hold up and it did.

Gary Weaver