[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

AutoTransformer vs. Variac

Greetings fellow coilers. I have a few questions I need to ask and I
hope you'll find the time to answer them.

First being most important. What's the difference between an
AutoTransformer and a Variac? My pop being an electrical engineer says
that the two are totally different things, yet I see many coiler's sites
reffering to either.

Second. I have a dual NST TC and I want to install a Variac (or
AutoTransformer) to control the input voltage.
the first NST is a 12kV / 60mA  /  720VA and the second NST is 12kV /
60mA / 360VA. What type of Variac (or AutoTransformer) do I need. What
rating?

I have been told in on my my earlier messages that the reason the power
rating differs is that the 360VA NST has a power factor capacitor built
in. Now I understand that typically NST's work -at- 50% the power rating.
Is that mean that if I add a PFC to the other NST will my power in fact
decrease or increase?  How would I wire the cap's if I have the two
NST's in parallel. The approx cuircit looks like this :
[Image]
I assume the PFC is on the primary. What cap am I looking for?

Correct me if I wrong but according to the specs of the NST's I
currently draw about 13 A from the circuit. Is that mean that I can't
add another NST because the house wiring is rated at 15 A and so is the
fuse?

--
                 -=[Tom Heiber]=-
                       A.K.A

             -=[Tom's Tesla Coil Page]=-
 -=[ http://www.golden-dot-net/~theiber/index.htm ]=-

[...]

<<<< since this is a "text only" mail list.  The graphic didn't pass through

I assume the PFC is on the primary. What cap am I looking for?

Correct me if I wrong but according to the specs of the NST's I currently draw
about 13 A from the circuit. Is that mean that I can't add another NST because
the house wiring is rated at 15 A and so is the fuse?

--
                 -=[Tom Heiber]=-
                       A.K.A
                -=[Black Thunder]=-