[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 questions on resonance

Hi John,

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> << Dear all,
> >           After reading the responses on resonant rise, I would like
> > to ask why it is said that resonant charging allows one to suck more
> > power from a NST? I suggest that if that were true, one could set the
> > gap wider than for a non-resonant situation and still have the gap
> > fire at the 2Fmains rate. Any comments?
>
> > Malcolm >>
>
> Malcolm,
>
> I think the gap *can* be set wider using resonant charging and still
> fire at 2F mains rate.  I've always found that as the cap gets larger
> and approaches mains resonance, it permits the use of a wider gap
> spacing, even while maintaining 2F mains firing.  Of course if the
> gap is too wide, then 1F firing will result.  It sounds like you're saying
> you've seen a different result?
>
> John Freau

Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear. You are quite right of course. I
might also have botched some calculations I sent in another post.
Club me with them if you like. I was trying to make the point that
the energy delivery of the transformer can be seen to be limited,
even if the cap is set for mains resonance. See my post on this. I
think the calcs are actually OK, just an assertion about the firing
rate. Anyhow, check out my argument.

Cheers,
Malcolm