[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ceramin Caps

I've been reading the list for about 6 months and decided on finally
building my first coil.
I've been rat-holing pices and parts for a while and have gotten a
couple FITS (Furnace Ignition Transformers) at 10KVAC 30mA (I have 4)
and a MOT (I think 2KVAC -at-500mA).
I'm also looking for a pole pig and any other parts.
  The main thing keeping me from actually starting has been the Caps.
I don't want to spend a fortune on buying one only to destroy it in a
matter of hours, and I don't want to invest a week or two in rolling
my own only to detonate it in a couple minutes.
   I have found a source for Ceramic Disk Caps rated .001UF -at- 10KV
(Matsushita # ECK-D4A102MDA) and can get 100 for $80.

  Here's the rub....
How many do I need?
How do I assemble them?
How many, of what kind, of Transformer do I wire up and how?

I want something that will take serious abuse while I learn the
basics. I don't mind way overenginneering the individual components
even if it will cost more to do it.
I have all the time in the world to sit and solder little cap leads
as long as I know it will work and last for quite a while.

I know all you guys out here have been doing this for years and I
trust your advice implicitly. Anything you may have to add about
other places to start (secondary size/type, primary specs, whatever..)
is greatly appreciated. I'm a Geek, not a God, and I have a lot to
learn. Please help, thanks.

"Evolution Stops When Stupidity Is No Longer Fatal"
  C.Boden (Stolen from Sam Barros, who stole it from an old Russian
proverb)
 The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth!

Christopher A. Boden Esq.
President/C.E.O.