[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FREE - High Voltage stuff in Oz.

Hi all,

Long time, no see.  After an exhaustive search for high voltage caps,
I've just about accepted that I'll have to purchase one from overseas -
i.e.  USA (probably Maxwell).  I could even tolerate paying the price
(in USD), but figure the freight would about double it. (at least for
big pulse caps)  Have just one or two more avenues to explore here
first.
I was actually lucky enough to 'find' a 15nF / 50kV Maxwell cap, but I
left it 300km away (Canberra) & not sure I'll ever see it again.  I made
one 15nF (.080" PE) stacked plate cap, bathed in 20W/50 motor-oil in a
PE cereal container, which hasn't blown up yet (at 15kV/60mA NST), but
what a hassle !  Have a similar one, half completed in the garage which
I'll finish one day.........
Have not been following the list much for the last year or more, but
have noted with interest some recent posts about "MMC" caps for Tesla
work.  I have thought about this before, but wanted to hear of others'
results B4 spending the $$$ & time.  Now I think I'll have a go.
Anyway the real reason for this post is to let any Aussies here know
that I have just recently scored two 5uF / 25kV DC  (1560 Joules)
"Energy Storage" oil-filled caps for free.  Two was all I could fit in
the boot at the time - there are 16 available.  I will probably take 8
or 10 to use for some other High-Voltage pulse-discharge fun.  These
caps are made by Ducon (who have recently 'disappeared', absorbed by
Plessey), a few years old, or more, but apparently unused.  They are
approx 640mm x 340mm x 150mm (2ft x 1ft x 6in), in welded stainless
steel cases, & HEAVY !  The case is one terminal, the other on about a
10" tall ceramic insulator.  (I'll send pix later).  The good news is
they're FREE, the bad news concerns the nature of the oil inside them
(one guess !)
If anyone is interested, contact me by email or phone, & we'll see what
we can arrange.  There is also a new (or recond ?), used once, 100kVA
3phase transformer of around 14kV odd.  It weighs 900kg & is on a pallet
in Sydney.  Let me know if you're interested, & I can probably also get
this free.  I would take it myself but I live in a small flat with a
small garage in suburbia, & my GPOs (wall sockets) don't run to 100kVA
!!
Long story short, these are from a HV test facility at a University,
being slowly decomissioned.  I hope to find some other goodies here (all
free) over the next 6-12 months - hopefully some values more appropriate
to my scale of coiling.  Will post anything interesting as it becomes
available. (I had my eye on a brand-new 5kVA 14.7kV SWER tranny, but
they still want it - for now.  Priced one at the only place in Oz I
could find - $1000 !  Alas, also 3000km away in Perth, & a costly
freight exercise.)

Sorry about the length of this.  Hope to participate in the list more
now - nice to be back !

Cheers,

Phil Chalk

(contact at    phil-at-eagles-dot-com.au   or  phone   0416 204 442  )