[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 questions on resonance

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> << Number One:
>  >     What is resonant charging?
>
> Chris,
>
> Resonant charging occurs when the inductance of the TC power
> supply equals the capacitance of the TC tank cap.  Under this
> condition, with L and C equal, only the resistances in the system
> limit the current input.

Isn't it the impedances (reactance) of the inductance and capacitance that
have to be equal for resonant charging to take place?

If you go to the Tesla Files Archive, which is easily found on the web
somewhere (www.velocity-dot-com/[I have no idea]), there's a file called
math.txt and one called math2.txt.  Between those two files, you'll have all
the math you need (or want).

>From what I understand, it's important that the Tank cap and power supply
have matching impedances at 60Hz, and that the Tank cap and the primary coil
resonate at the same frequency as the secondary coil and topload
capacitance.  This second resonant frequency is best determined by playing
with numbers, trying to fit as many of your specs as possible into the
region of data values that is considered "acceptable."

If this became a concern, I'd advise you to use R.S. Coppersmith's Wintesla
program (available somewhere) to play with the numbers, and get a feel for
appropriate specs for your coil by reading lots of individual people's Tesla
Coil web pages.  Specs, description of concepts, etc.  The more ways you
hear it explained, and the more ways you see it, the easier it becomes to
understand.

Sorry, got a little off topic!  Good Luck!
Adam