[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NST/capacitor resonance question

I'm still new at this, so someone please correct me if my logic is
wrong.

I determine the optimum capacitance of the tank capacitor by matching
capacitive reactance (impedence), with the NSTs reactance (impedence),
which is assumed to be inductive.  The reactance equations are done with
frequency=60Hz (line frequency), so when this part of the circuit is
active, the only impedence is resistive, and much more power gets
through.

This seems great, but what about the normal resistive qualities of the
NST?  The NST is made up of a LOT of thin wire, right?  I would think
this yields a rather high resistive impedence.  Wouldn't this be
inconsistent with the assumption that all the NST's impedence is due to
induction?  Or is the resistance so small that it has very little effect
on the NST's total impedence?  I believe the latter to be true for the
self-capacitance of the transformer, but I've never really looked at an
NST core, so I have a very barebones understanding of what's in there.

Nothing is ever simple, and that's why I love this
Adam