[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fridge compressor for vacuum pump?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Thursday, April 01, 1999 4:35 AM
Subject: Fridge compressor for vacuum pump?

>Original Poster: Alex Crow <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
>
>Dear All
>
>I just managed to rip out a compressor from an old freezer (doing my bit
>for the ozone layer in the process!) and was wondering which bit sucked
>and which blows - the big pipe at the top which went into the freezer or
>the one at the back that went to the radiator? It's also got three mains
>wires, but I haven't opened the junction box yet so maybe I'll work it
>out then.
>
>Anyone used these as a vacuum pump before? what sort of performance can
>I expect?
>
>Alex Crow

The big pipe is the suction and the small pipe going to the condenser
(radiator)
is the
discharge. The compressor has three terminals on the motor- common, run, and
start.
there should be a potential relay and may be a start capacitor on the motor.
You can expect to pull a 15" to 20" vacuum, if the refrigerant was r-12, it may
do better
as a freezer running on r-12 will work very close to a vacuum anyway.