Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:47:38 +0100
From: Alex Crow <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Advice needed on capacitor tests: update: BIG resonance!

Dear all,

I will add to this after another test....

I hooked up my cap across my NST again, but this time put my multimeter on
the output of the NST. I turned up the voltage, and at only 1 or 2 percent
of line voltage I was getting about 600-700 volts on the meter!!  I tried
it without the cap and all I was getting was around 80-100 volts on the
same setting... All I can think of is that the NST windings are resonating
with my cap at 60Hz and causing this voltage rise of about 6 to 8 times!!
Instead of shunts, these things have a small gap in the core which provides
enough leakeage inductance to limit the current.

In fact, I'm just doing the test again right now - with the cap connected I
set the variac for an NST output of 800V. I removed the cap and I'm only
getting about 85V. This must mean that I was actually getting about 10kV
across my cap, no wonder I got the big sparks! this is a rise of nearly
10x!  Help!!! does this mean my xfrmr is useless for Tesla work? I can't
see that my RC filter (desingned for the Tesla frequency) is going to stop
this!

Please respond, I am at my wit's end as to what to do - can I fill the gap
in my core and add limiting on the input to my NSTs? maybe this would
reduce the inductance and stop the ringing. Help!