[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cooling your components

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "JimmyD" <jim_del-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
> I've read alot on the list about components failing because of
> heating(overheating).
>
> Has anybody tried cooling the components in liquid nitrogen?
>
> Just a thought...
>
> << Jim >>

Jim,

Tesla often speculated about reducing his system losses by running
components of his systems under liquid air. We now know that MOST of the
losses in the primary circuit come from the sparkgap, and most in the
secondary come from the earth ground and streamer losses (for sparking
coils). Tesla tried to eliminate the streamer losses - we want to
maximize them!

Component failures from overheating usually occur in the tank cap, and
this typically stems from using lossy dielectrics such as glass, mylar,
PVC, etc. Using a low loss dielectric such as Polypropylene or
Polyethylene will solve the overheating problem at its source. Remember
that excessive heating represents an energy loss, and this loss will
reduce the amount of energy that makes it to your streamers. Loss
prevention by using good dielectrics will be most likely be more
effective (and less expensive) than cooling with liquid nitrogen.
Cooling the tank cap in liquid nitrogen may also create other problems
due to the dielectric becoming brittle, and the dielectric oil jelling.

-- Bert --