[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Achived a new spark length

Hello All,

Today was the first day (over here), where you could go outside, w/o
freezing your a.. off. So, I lugged out my complete coil equipment
(uff!) and fired up my 8" coil (for the first time outside). I once
again achived my 41"+/-. Being outside, I now had more room
(for longer sparks), so I decided to add another bank of caps to
my MMC for a total of 31.2nF. Now "turning it into" a reso-cap for
my 7.5kV/75mA NST. A joule equivilant for 15kV coilers would be
7.8nF cap (for 1.75 Joules). Using the same toroid got me too
many streamers at once, so I enlarged it as far as I could, making
it ~32" in (major) diameter.  This reduced the total number of
streamers during a run. I was slightly disappointed, that I could
not get the coil to produce only one single streamer. A nail stuck
on the toroid didnīt help much. Even while the arc was connecting
to my grounded target, it still produced multiple streamers. The
best I could do was two simultanious (sp?) streamers. After a little
tweaking, I got a just over 125cm (~50") streamers. I was
hoping for more, but I couldnīt get them. It WAS a little windy
and the air was pretty humid, so maybe that was why. Oh well.
I guess the next step will be to increase the input VA. I had a
friend come over and we ran the coil for about 30 min, only
shutting it down to make adjustments. My MMC went through
the torture and came out with flying colors once again. The
caps did not get warm at all.

Gary: I will e-mail you shortly about your MMC and your
results. I downloaded your pictures and the WIMA info sheets.
Nice looking cap job, BTW.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard