[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Alternative supply for tesla coils

I have used an unpotted neon, it will work, although, best to place it
under oil. Big difference between all the neons and microwave xformers I
have seen: Neons have a layer of paper (or paper like) insulation between
each layer, Microwave oven trany's secondaries are just wound over them
selves, just the enamel on the wire for insulation between layers...

Once I was pulling too much current through a MOT and the secondary started
smoking, shut down, but the damage was done. The overheated wires burnt the
enamel insulation off of several wires causing an internal short in the
secondary, which in turn left a nice carbon track for future use.

Regards,

David Trimmell