[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC Tesla Coil

From: 	Alfred C. Erpel[SMTP:aerpel-at-op-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, January 03, 1998 9:03 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: DC Tesla Coil

    Can you help me to understand how a spark gap which is probably closed
for several tens of cycles of the resonant frequency can be considered in
resonance? And how is this different from periodically (and not at the
resonant frequency) *banging* the primary?

>>  DC avoids having to
>> have your spark synchronous with a (AC fed) capacitor that 60 times (USA
>> 60hz) every second has *no* charge on it.

>Have another look at the sine wave that you're feeding that cap.  The
period
>of time your cap has "no" charge on it, is almost infinitessimally small.

    There is a significant amount of time each 60th of a second when the
capacitor will be no where near its maximum charge.

<snipped>

>>  To get DC into the tank
>> capacitor, is it as simple as feeding rectified AC into your transformer?

>Um, last I checked, transformers steadfastly refused to operate on DC.  If
>you've got one that will, I will make you very, very rich!

        A chopped DC sine wave (that you get thru a rectifying bridge) fed
into a primary of a transformer will cause a constantly changing field that
should induce a similar wave form in the secondary.

Regards,
Alfred Erpel