[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC Tesla Coil

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, January 03, 1998 9:14 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: DC Tesla Coil

>    If my tank capacitor is charged with DC only, it seems to me that it
>would be much easier to get a solid resonance occuring in the tank circuit
>with a fixed spark gap (well quenched).

I think you would need a mechanical breaking gap like a rotary gap to
properly quench a DC supply.

>    For instance, lets say my TC is resonant at 100 khz, it seems to me that
>all that is necessary to get a solid resonance is a fixed spark gap that
>will quench and fire 100,000 times per second

No, you want to hit the primary with an impulse, at let the natural
resonance of the tank ring it up to a high voltage.  A few hundred breaks
per second gives the secondary a chance to ring nautrally in response.
You don't want to overdrive the coil or excite higher harmonics.

>    Can a fixed spark gap be quenched at that rate?

Not by any means I am aware of, nor would it help us any.

>To get DC into the tank
>capacitor, is it as simple as feeding rectified AC into your transformer?

Yes, it's that simple, but not something you need or want to do.  60Hz is
quite practical to work with.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net