[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Voltage/Length (fwd)

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, January 28, 1998 2:17 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Voltage/Length (fwd)

-----------------------------------   big snip

>John and all,
>

>  Vs(max) = F*Vgap*sqrt(Cp/Cs)  where 0.5 < F < 0.9 typically
>
>Now, if I have 1 bang/second or 400 bangs/second, the above equation
>does not change! Vs does not increase with increasing input power levels
>(although sparklength may for other reasons). Cs may increase a bit in
>the latter case because of additonal ion-cloud loading. Also, the above
>equation is only appropriate if I don't have loading from secondary
>breakout.

>----------------------------------   big snip-

p current is highest. John, something appears to be amiss somewhere in
>the model you're using, or in the set of assumptions used for your
>model.
>
>Safe coilin' to you!
>
>-- Bert --

  Bert -

  I agree the above equation does not change when bangs change. But what is
your point in bringing in bangs? The above equation does not include joules
(energy) or watts (power). However, the bangs determine the joules or watts.

       Joules (watt seconds) = .5 Cp Vp Bangs/eff

  It is obvious from the above equation that when bangs change the Joules
will change. If the joules are not changed the charge on the capacitor will
change and this is another type of problem.

  Note that energy and power transfer between the pri and sec circuits is
always 100 percent (Skilling). This is easily understood. The transfer is by
induction and there are no losses in inductive reactance. Also, there are no
equations for losses in inductive or capacitive reactances. The coil
resistance losses and the capacitor dissipation losses are all Ohms law (not
reactive)  losses.

  The model I am using is correct but may not be accurate because
assumptions were made. For someone to say these assumptions are incorrect
requires that they collect test data from several dozen coils and do the
necessary calculations and graphs as I have done. This would make it
possible to show where the assumptions should be changed. I am hoping that
someone will do this so we can compare results.

  John Couture