[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Static Gap Question??

----------
From:  Zuma [SMTP:mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, January 25, 1998 8:36 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Static Gap Question??

On my past two coils I ran the gaps in the type setup. Until now I just
realized that I don't think it was quenching for peak performance.
My gaps consist of this, two 6 inch long metal pieces (they are at 90
degrees in the shape of an 'L') they have 7 holes drilled in each piece,
I place 7 bolts on each metal piece, then each of the bolts have a cap
nut on them (rounded). These two pieces are mounted parallel to each
other, then I wound set the distance between the gaps to about .2 each.
But what I just realized is that regardless of the seven total gaps, I
noticed that the sparks would jump around to different electrodes but
they never fired all together. Which I think was not giving me total
quenching. I never noticed because I guess that I was satisfied with
my first coils output (20 inches/15000-at-30ma) and my second coils output
(9 inches/7500-at-30ma). Also on my first coil I used a fan on it to
quench.

Could someone tell me me if this is right. If it is I am probably going
to find me a new setup for my spark gap.

Thanks, Chris