[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ferrite chokes

----------
From:  Kevin Wahila [SMTP:wawa-at-spectra-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, January 23, 1998 11:47 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  ferrite chokes

i wrapping  up my toroid choke to protect my neons with some .006 mil poly.
 i cut a 1 inch by ten foot strip and started winding.  the layers overlap
for a combined .024 mil i estimate.  is this enough or should i use some
more?  also, would it be better to wind one layer and then another on top
of that?  if i did that how much poly would be needed inbetween layers?  i
also remember something from a previous post about winding layers.  i think
it went like this... one layer of five turns was wound and then four turns
were wound on top of that.  then moving over, five more turns were wound
and the four turns on top of that...and so on.  if you do this, do you need
to insulate between the layer of five and the layer of four?  another
thing, do i have to use the rg-59 wire, or could i use just plain old #20
pvc coated wire?  my only concern with the rg-59 is that i'll need a lot of
layers because of the thick insualtion.  right now i have two 3" O.D. 1.5"
I.D. toroids and 4 1-1/8" O.D. 5/8" I.D. toroids at my disposal.  any help,
comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Kevin