[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Did rotary cause failure ?

----------
From:  FutureT [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, January 22, 1998 10:32 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Did rotary cause failure ?

<< >Hi All,

 >    Two days ago I fired up my 3 KW Tcoil and got some impressive results
 >for being conservative.  I had spent a few days re-building my supply and
 >wanted to take it easy for a while using 1000 rpm on the rotary gap.  Last
 >night I took photo's of the unit and between frames increased the speed of
 >the motor.  After about 30 seconds at 2400 rpm one of my transformers
 >again, died.   >snip

 >Thanks all for any input.
 >
 >Dwight

Dwight,

If these are those photocopy type trannies, I believe Skip Greiner
has run these successfully using a synchronous gap system, with
resonant charging.  Skip used a safety gap on each tranny I think,
and obtained 65" sparks if I remember correctly.  This kind of set-
requires the correct sized cap to resonate with the tranny.  Skip
possibly modified the trannies by improving the insulation as
described by Fr. Tom and maybe others.  I think Skip used about
2100 watts input, but I'm relying on my memory here (beware  :)

John Freau