[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Green glow

From: 	Gomez[SMTP:gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com]
Reply To: 	gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com
Sent: 	Thursday, January 01, 1998 2:10 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Green glow

Tesla List wrote:
> UV-excited florescence.  Could I be generating "soft" x-rays?  I always
> assumed the inert gas filling in light bulbs prevented x-ray tube
> action.  Hmmm...
>
> Greg

I was under the impression that most light bulbs "contained" only a hard
vacuum.  And yes, with any voltage much over a few tens of kV, in a vacuum
it ain't difficult at all to generate X-rays.  And given the voltage of a Tesla
coil, they aren't going to be soft, either, although the dose-rate,
determined by the current, won't be much.  The tungsten of which bulb
filaments are made is just dandy for producing X-rays.

Tesla himself had a few "single electrode" x-ray tube designs which ran on
RF.

regards,
Gomez

--
Gomez: card-carrying mad scientist, extreme fetishist, fiction dabbler,
pyrophiliac, technomage, goth, SF fan, lighting designer, dominant