[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor and coil form questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:23:14 +0000
From: Steve Rodway <Legion-at-bigfoot-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Capacitor and coil form questions (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

>> Fill the tank
>> with transformer oil. I have calculated that 85 plates, 2.5mm appart
>> should give he the desired capacitance.
>>         I think that this design has several advantages, the di-electric is
>> self healing, and it is easy to adjust capacitance and voltage. For me
>> these outway the difficulty of moving and setting up the capacitor"
>

>         That's mighty close spacing!!!  You would need very flat
> plates, rigidly supported.  In my opinion that would be nearly
> impossible to achieve in practice.
	Thanks for the comment, on rechecking my calculations I get 4mm
seperation. the plates would be 1mm thick steel, so they would be
reasonably rigid and heavy, so I don't think there would be too much
difficulty in achiving proper seperation..

>         As for the self healing - not so simple.  I have a couple of
> variable capacitors immersed in oil here.  When breakdown occurs the
> oil is carbonized, and think a complete emptying of oil, flushing and
> washing plates in solvent, and refilling would be needed.
	The oil I am using does not carbonize on breakdown, I think it may be a
silicon based oil.

--
*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *  Support your local *
*Tel. +44 1684 567588                          *     coroner....     *