[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sync Rotary Gap Problems

From: 	Rscopper[SMTP:Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, January 08, 1998 8:09 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Sync Rotary Gap Problems

Well kids,

I've been working since Thankgiving on a sync RSG...found a 1725 rpm motor
...ground some flats (best way other than a mill was a belt sander with 60
grit)...baby locked up great...replaced thin wires with copper tube and
8awg...all set for some spectacular fireworks...no such luck.

The new gap is 4 rotating poles and 2 sets of stationaries 180 deg apart.  The
coil fires up nice and smooth every time, but only at about half the spark
length compared to if I stop the rotary gap and let it sit stationary????  The
tungsten sure lights up then!

What am I doing wrong here??? If I increase the gaps, all I get is a humming
4KW transformer.  I'm using 1/8 inch rods...are they too thin and quenching
too fast???

I rotated the motor back and forth to get the best timing...???

Any ideas???

Scott