[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TRANSFORMER?//CURRENT LIMITING?

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, January 06, 1998 5:59 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: TRANSFORMER?//CURRENT LIMITING?

to: Zuma

Check with your local utility company to see where they pick up their
units.  Sometimes you can get an off voltage unit or unit with physical
case damage and then put the core/coil assemly into your own tank.  As for
current limiting you can make a reasonable gapped core inductor by
obtaining an old surplus 28 amp variac core.  Remove all the wire.  Clamp
the core and carefully cut through the core.  Insert a piece of 0.120 inch
thick plastic into the cut slot, clamp all together very hard, and epoxy
into place.  Now wind (by hand) 160 turns of #10 AWG on the core and you
have a great pole pig current limiter for about the $30 cost of the old
variac core.  You could also place taps every 5 turns between 120 and 160
turns if you wish to adjust your current more carefully.  The value of 160
turns works well with a .04-.05 MFD cap on the primary side of a Tesla
oscillator.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net