[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Monday, January 05, 1998 1:11 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Variac

"Ed,

    Thanks for the warning.  I found their web site.
http://www.signweb-dot-com/diversified_components
    Could you take a look and see if anything about what they say leads you
to think differently, and if not, could you explain the reasoning behind not
using these devices in a TC tank circuit?
Thanks.

Regards,
Alfred Erpe"

Alfred:
	These are TRIAC dimmers, which work by varying the conduction
angle of the waveform.  They are advertised as working with neon
transformers, which are inherently current-limited (unless you
resonate them with the tank capacitance).  It would be worth trying
one with such a transformer, if you feel that you want to vary
the output of a neon transformer powered system.  I suspect, though
I can't prove it, that they would cave in fast if you tried to use
one with a pole pig, which was how I interpreted the original post.\
In any event, they are a completely different form of beast from
a variable autotransformer, and nowhere near as rugged.
Ed