[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: I have a few questions

<<  Hi All,

>  I have a few questions:

>  1.) After reading numerous posts on RSG gaps, why would anyone want to
build
>  an async rotary ? I think sync motors are plentiful (you can turn async
into
>  sync easily by grinding/milling flats on the armature). Sync gaps are
easier
>  on your system. Varying the break rate means going to a little more touble
>  (i.e. you need a disk and a "x" electrode number for every diffeent BPS),
but
>  I still think its cheaper and less of a pain in the ... than getting a new
>  transformer every time you goof up on the async setup.

>  - snip -

>  Thanks for the help,

>  Coiler greets from germany,
 > Reinhard >>

Reinhard,

The async gaps are very useful in larger systems that do not use
NST's.  The async gap is esp useful as a technique for coaxing
longer sparks from a small capacitor system.  The small capacitor
is cheaper, and thinner primary wiring can be used due to the lower
currents.  Also, the user can vary the break-rate to find the best
break-rate for his system, based on gap losses, ballast losses,
toroid size, etc.

The sync-gap requires more experience to properly design the coil,
esp. in the selection of the proper sized capacitor, which will tend
to be larger, than in a similarly powered async system.

In small NST powered coils, a sync gap helps to protect the NST
from destuction, and gives superior performance, compared with
static and async rotaries.

John Freau