[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 6" coil spark length

In a message dated 9/28/98 8:52:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 Ed,
 Congrats! That's what, about 10" beyond your last best as I remember. It's
 great
 to see a 6" coil being blasted with ~7.5kva! Do you have any idea what the
 bps was
 at approximately? I assume this was to a grounded rod as well?
 Bart
 BTW - I do have 7 of Ed's last pics up at my web site if anyone hasn't
 seens Ed's
 dual-stack toroid:
 http://www.geocities-dot-com/capecanaveral/hangar/3108/bhvl.html

Bart,

You are correct.  The previous best spark length was 93".  Rotaty speed is
hard to estimate, and I don't have any method set up to measure it.  I am
using a 10,000 rpm universal motor, running at maybe one half of full variac
power.  If this is equal to about 5,000 rpm, the break rate would be about 666
bps.  I am not sure what to atribute the 12% increase in spark length to.
Definitely the higher break rate, it rained the night before and the ground
plane was throughly wet, it was cool that night with maybe 50% humidity.

Ed Sonderman