[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20" sparks with salt water cap

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:39:20 -0600 Cabbott Sanders
<cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net> wrote:

>I have my small tesla coil fully optimized now.  I don't think there is
>any way to increase spark length beyond 20" with this setup which
includes:

>2 foot tall Glass Jug salt water cap (glows in the dark)

The fact that yout capacitor is glowing in the dark is a sure sign that
it is wasting energy! I am quite confident that if you were to replace
your salt water cap with an oil filled polyethylene capacitor, you will
get a noticible increase in your output spark length! Perhaps maybe even
to 3 feet, which is not all that unusual for a NST like yurs, ie. 15 KV -at-
60 ma. or 900 watts! BTW you can get a bit more out of your system by
removing a few (NO MORE THAN about 3) magnetic shunts from our NST. This
will increase the current output to around 80 ma.
                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]