[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: we are called coilers (we'll coil 'til our brains boil)

<< Its fairly interesting to note that we are usually referred to as,
>"coilers"....  when actually, we spend less time coiling than pretty much
> anything else in our setup.  Now 100 years ago when they hand-wound all the
> commercial dc motors in a sweat shop, They could be called coilers!

Cabbott,

I don't think of "coilers" as meaning folks who wind coils,  I think of the
term as a shorted version of Tesla coil builders/experimenters, or Tesla
coilers, i.e., the -er suffix applies to the term "Tesla coil", not just to
the
word "coil", which completely changes the context.  In other words, the
term "coiler", derives from the term "Tesla-coil-er", not just from "coil".
A subtle perhaps, but important distinction.

Splitting hairs, phrases, and phases in NJ,
John Freau