[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparklength inquiry

Hi Greg,

> > > My two coils land pretty close to the square-law curve
> > > that is defined by your two coils.
> > > And Ed's halfwave coil lands fairly close as well, beating
> > > the revised curve by about 20%.  But a halfwave coil should
> > > be more efficient at producing spark length -- since the spark
> > > channel is supported at both ends, the ends of the spark need
> > > be only as thick as the base of a single spark half its size.
> >
> > And also a higher voltage between the terminals (by about SQRT2) due
> > to energy sharing. I got the same sort of result for my minicoil twin.
>
> What is the 'energy sharing' effect?

Start with some E going to one resonator. Vo = SQRT(2E/Cs)
Now halve E going to that resonator. Output drops by only SQRT(2).
Let the other half E go to another resonator. You now has a potential
difference between them of 2SQRT(E/Cs) which is SQRT(2) higher than
the p.d. developed by the one resonator.

Malcolm