[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help for a "green coiler"

to: Roger

Your basic design is fine.  Use a .005 MFD cap to start.  A fixed series
sparkgap with 2 gaps and a small fan blowing thru them will work good.  Use
a 6x2 or 8x2 toroid (dryer duct -- cover with alum foil).  Use some old
scrap wire for a temporary 20 turn primary for testing -- tap as necessary
-- replace later with a better looking and more permanent primary.  Off
each NST bushing run a 250 to 500 Ohm, 25 watt power resistor in series
with a small toroid wound with 3-5 turns of wire.  Insulate the toroid on a
plastic rod so it's at least 4 inches off the mounting base.  Use a variac
for initial testing and tuning -- keep power low until in tune.  Total
(both gaps) spark gap setting (combined) is 0.200 max -- start with 0.125
for initial testing and tuning.  Be sure to use a very good external ground
(not power line) for the bottom of sec coil.  This data should get you 8-12
inch sparks right off without much further alterations.  Later, try a 60 ma
xmfr and .01 MFD cap -- retune and you with add 50-75% to your spark
length.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net